Friday, February 5, 2010

This is my family photograph.I believe that this came out quite well but there a deffinatly a few things both Formaly and conceptualy that i could change to make it better. I had been expirementing with the idea of using shadows and siluets in my pictures in other projects. This photo was an extension of work thaat I had already done. In this photograph the formal and conceptual issues overlap but I will try to keep them seperate as best I can.
Formaly there is one big problem and that is quite obvious. There is a table in the forground which blocks the center pf the photo. The table was there because my face (the one that is cut out) did not have enough light, and the small spot light I had was not strong enough to reach from any farther tham the table. If i were to do this again i would find a better spotlight. Another problem is that the people are to crowded together. What I really needed to take this photo was a much large sheet and to move the camera back so that the actors could have more room.
Conceptualy I am satisfied with the photo. my family were good actors and sports and it resulted in what I think to be and interesting photo. My mother was a bit sloched over and if she had been standing strait I think that I could have better captured her siluet. Also as I said before the sheet that I used was not big enough. This resulted in my family having to squish together. Personaly I do not like that effect and would have like each person to have been more defined.

2 comments:

  1. I like the idea of using the silhouettes of your family for your family photograph. It is definitely unique and I don’t believe that anyone else did this how you did. I agree with you that the table was in the way, but if that’s the only way to make the photograph work, then I guess that you have to do it that way. Maybe you could have made your face brighter using Photoshop? I also agree that it would have been better if everyone was speed out more to capture everything. On to the formal side of this, everything seems to be correct. The shutter speed seems to be fairly perfect with very little to no blurriness. You must have used a high ISO setting in order to get the exposure that you did, although this is a noiseless photograph for the most part. I’m not sure how you got your face in there but that’s cool how you made yourself the center of attention by both being in the middle of the photograph and by being the only one that we can see the actual face of. Overall, I think that this is a very good and unique family photograph. (*Applause*)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Austin, I'm glad you wrote about this photograph; it is one of my favorites! Your critique is good, but I'd like to hear more about the conceptual piece. You begin to write about meaning by saying that the photograph is "interesting," but then you switch back to a formal analysis as you comment on the technical problem of space and the arrangement of your family members. Nevertheless, this is a good start.

    Please remember to capitalize your I's.

    ReplyDelete